Thursday, August 19, 2010

Magpie 28

Mmmmmmmmmmm... I love this sight.  It means I'm taking care of myself.  It means I'm relaxing in warm bubbly comfort.  It means that some time in the recent past I've siezed 45 seconds to paint my toenails without smudges. My "Relaxation in Progress" sign hangs on the bathroom doorknob.  That should keep the restless natives out for at least 15 minutes.  Sweet frilly air slowly fills my lungs all the way and my torso becomes more buoyant.  The exhale chauffeurs so many worries to the door and bids them farewell.  My soul is reconstituted.  I give my mind permission to be totally empty.  I have to reprimand it a few times when it drifts toward work or laundry.  The sound of tiny bubbles popping reminds me how quiet this sacred room is right now.  Just this morning, it was teeming with activity as the four of us gathered here for our a.m. rituals.  Why we all get ready in the same bathroom when we have 3 others, I'll never understand.  We laugh, we brush, we spit, we dance.  I gently drift back to the image before me... 8 painted toes peeking at me like an old friend, saying "you deserve this."  I become fixated... perma stare.  My head lolls stupidly to one side and my face threatens to slide off my head.  The 8 toes consume me.  A few more deep breaths.

Abruptly, the door opens and the cutest smile on the planet says, "Mom, look at my new outfit!"  My youngest is wearing neon striped toe socks, her dad's T-shirt (the one with the Geico gecko) belted at the waist with a dish towel.  The ensemble is enhanced by a pink feather boa, white satin gloves to the elbows, huge star-framed sunglasses and more plastic jewels than a carnival treasure chest... displayed with a killer diva pose.

Of course, she can't read.

Letting go of one savory moment and embracing the next, I offer "I'll be out in a minute... do you have some cool duds for me!?"

Giggles paint the hallway as the neon socks carry her away.

The drain will claim the remains of Mommy Time.  The faucet will hold one for another day.  Bye bye, eight toes.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
- James Taylor

8 Comments:

At August 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Helen said...

Your Magpie is so charming ... I love that this Mom has time and energy for herself ... and her offspring!

 
At August 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM , Blogger Doctor FTSE said...

I'm tempted to make a copy of your "Relaxation in Progress" sign! Very relaxing Magpie! Thank you.

 
At August 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM , Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Ah sweet this is!

 
At August 21, 2010 at 4:26 AM , Blogger Brian Miller said...

ah sweet release..all moms need that special time...nice mag!

my magpie

 
At August 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM , Blogger signed...bkm said...

Love that draining away your Mommy time.....nice magpie...bkm

 
At August 22, 2010 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Vicki Lane said...

It's all good, as they say! Lovely Magpie!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 3:27 AM , Blogger Steve Capelin said...

Lovely violet. Our kids are gone and in the process of returning regularly. It brought back some nice memories - dress-ups and giggles.

 
At August 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Stafford Ray said...

Lovely gentle picture of a mum trying for some me-time. Er... '8 painted toes peeking at me like an old friend'. What are the other two peeking at underwater? Hope they are friendly too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home