Friday, April 9, 2010

Pre-Summer Observations

I started my Summer blog before Summer actually started.  Here on the East Coast, we had this freak warm spell for a week or so that got me in the mood.  The spell is broken now, by the way.

Observation #1:  I'd rather write than eat.  Some mornings I have about 15 minutes extra before my day gets rolling towards work.  I know I should acquire sustenance.  But, I feel a pull similar to gravity towards the computer.  I click out a few lines here that somehow make me feel like I'm cleansed to start the day fresh.

Observation #2:  I've heard parents talk about the phenomenon of carpool.  Not the kind with briefcases, blue tooth and coffee mugs.  I call mine the kidpool.  We inventory backpacks, lunchboxes and homework before the "red bus" pulls out of our driveway.  I learned quickly that I am not a part of the conversation during this commute.  In fact, my voice makes no noise at all.  Here I am, I think to myself, the older kid phase of life.  I can no longer accurately say I have small children.  Many veteran parents have shared with me the time warp that occurs as you watch your children grow up, bewildered that it seems like just yesterday they were in diapers.  I am determined not to bemoan the passage of time and pine for the old days, like my mother did.  I felt like I was committing some personal offense by coming of age.  Anyway, all that to say, kidpool is an interesting experience.  The kid next door has a voice that could cut glass.  I turn the speakers all the way to the front and listen to classic rock.  Occasionally, the kids acknowledge the front of the vehicle with a slight car dance.

1 Comments:

At April 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM , Blogger Stef said...

Car dance...hee-hee.. I can just see it. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home