Friday, October 1, 2010

Reflections after the Ball...

To dance is to be out of yourself.
Larger, more beautiful, more powerful.
This is power, it is glory on earth
and it is yours for the taking.
- Agnes DeMille
 
The question is posed of last night's Willow Manor Ball:  So, was all this deliciously silly hoopla pure nonsense?
 
The fact that so many people got lost in the fantasy of pure suggestion speaks to something deeper, in my opinion.  Yes, it appealed most to writers who routinely allow ourselves to plunge from reality.  But, I believe if everyone were completely honest, we all long to dance the night away with beautiful and fascinating people.
 
In the past, before all of our techno trinkets to entertain us at home alone, people gathered in pubs, taverns, clubs and taprooms to shake off the harshness of the day and find shelter in one another.  While some may caution against drunken brawls, I'd venture to say that was more the exception than the rule.  Just people enjoying people and some of the most beautiful things this earth has to offer; music, art and dance.
 
Recently I was traveling and happened upon a small town that hosts live music in the center of town one Friday a month.  The community gathers to soak up the sound and, of course, dancing ensues.  I was green with envy that I don't live close to such people. 
 
Or do I?  How many people in this siding-encased swirl of cul-de-sacs long for the sanctuary of a social evening?  How many of us turn to our keyboards or haunting blue screens to lull us beyond our loneliness?
 
Here's my point... the cyber-ball was a blast.  I was comforted to know how broad and how deep other minds venture for a taste of the divine.  But what if we attempted it, on a somewhat smaller and less infamous scale, in our "offscreen" life?
 
Why aren't we all having a Ball?
 
 
 
 
(Don't you want to know what happened with Pierce and I?  You'll have to pry it out of me!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home